Megatron the Decepticon Takes on "El Mundo"

This is my interpretation of the world that is in front of me as I travel down through Central and South America with my good friend Mere. My writing may not be the most clear but if you know me you will most likely understand it all.

Saturday, December 16, 2006

Medellín and More

Medellín was a wonderful place. We stayed there for four days and each one was filled with adventure. I enjoyed the days more than the nights though everything will be missed with fondness. Rocio and I got to spend a lot of time together and have become very close. I still have yet to have met up with Mere adventure has called us elsewhere but we have plans for Christmas.

Rocio and I got to understand Medellín more and more as the days went buy. One day we went to el Museo Antioquia. They had a whole section for Botero, a famous Colombian artist famous for los gordos (fat people). After the Museum Rocio, Debbie, and another friend Mark all of who I am curretnly traveling with, went to ride the cable metro that runs over the city. Since the city is on a hill the cable line, like a lift at a mountain ski resort, carries you up the hill to three different points. It was a magical ride, the city really is a magical place. It is so full of so many different elements.

On the way down we saw what looked like a horrible accident. As we left the station to see what was going on my heart stopped. Through all the soldiers I was looking at two dead bodies. It took me a few seconds to realize it was staged as a demonstration to educate the public on safety with motorcycles. Then I realized all the soldiers were 15 and the bodies were moving.

The next day I spent with just Rocio. We headed in the metro to the cemetary where Pablo Escabar lies and paid our respects. Then we headed back up the cable metro for a day view. On the way up I noticed that the roofs of all the metal houses were covered with rocks. I soon realized that the rocks were used to hold down the roofs so the wind doesn´t blow them over.

We approached the last stop at the top and got off to eat and explore. When we looked around our instant feeling was ¨here is Colombia¨ It was one of the poorer neighborhoods of Medellín but by far one of the richest full of culture and enjoyment. It was a day I will not forget.

Another day worth remember was our trip to Guatapé. Mark joined me and Rocio for this little adventure. None of us had any idea for sure where we were going but we had heard it was worth it. As la Piedra came into view we knew where we were headed. It is this enourmous rock that shoots out of the ground as if trying to escape. At the base of the rock are shops and restuarants and we feasted on the view. It looked like a scene from water world a complex maze of land and water. Immense and overwhelmingly amazing.

Mark and I chose to climb the rock while Rocio waited at the bottom. The stairway seemed to be carved into a tiny crack in the rock. It was 702 steps to the top and I touched everyone. The view fromthe top was even more incredible. I could have spent many more hours than the one I actually spent up there. Mark left me on top ranting in spanish with a family and on the way down I made two other friends Camilo and Milton who ended up givign the three of us a ride back into Medellín.

That is the thing with Colombia every bus ride or place I go I make a new friend. We share our stories, praise Colombia and discuss the world. At the end we part ways and wish each other luck. Sometimes we trade emails and sometimes they end up inviting you into their home and taking you to see whichever area you are in.

So I have decided to stay in Colombia for a bit longer. I had been thinking about it for awhile. From Medellín a small group of us travellers headed to the bus stop where I was reunited with some Argentine friends that Mere and I had met in the south of Costa Rica, Nico and Laura, who I had been writing ever since we met. (dont forget that Mere is having some crazy adventures of her own) SO we all head together to Salento where we have a beautiful 5hour hike through El valle de Cocora. Breathtakingly incredible. And as I have been doing pictures of everything will come as soon as I can find a CD burner. From Salento Debbie, Rocio Mark and I made our way to San Agustin where the incredible time continued.

This is where I decided to stay in Colombia. Mere and I were chatting on line and she asked what I thought about staying a little longer. It did not take long for me to tell her I had been thinking the same thing. It is a good thing becuase I decided to lose my Debit card and only source of money. My bank is not the most accomodating and my wonderful wonderful most amazing mother is helping. Mere has been a great support as well. It would be so easy at home but I am in Colombia. My card actually was returned to me two days later but after it had been cancelled.

Though I have been staying in good spirits I mean hey I am in Colombia for cryin out loud. So I have much more to see and I have made some great friends here in San Agustin that live in Bogota who I will meet up with again. Yesterday I said good bye to my travel partners who headed off to Ecuador reluctantly without me. Ha Ha.

Rocio and Debbie are my two new wonderful freinds that have made a powerful impact in my life. They have proven to be strong wonderful friends the world over. I will miss them until we are reunited in Argentina. If I can ever find myself to leave Colombia.

4 Comments:

  • At 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love that artist that does the "gordos"! Its really fun art! Between the pictures and your commentary you have made me want to go to Columbia. Enjoy where the road takes you.
    -kelsy

     
  • At 10:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sounds awesome...now I want to see colombia as well...soo much to see in too little time...though I guess I do have a lifetime ahead of me. Love ya Babe...SEE YOU SOON
    -Britt

     
  • At 9:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Meagan,
    you're having so good time. Your trip seems to be much fun. I wish you a very Merry Christmas and also a good start in 2007, lots od fun and great experience!
    Love and greetings from my family
    Ela

     
  • At 11:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Muy Meagan,

    I just smile and gently shake my head when I see your pictures. no words. just great feelings.

    Grandpa Jim showed me how to look on GoogleEarth to see the towns you are visiting. Now I can appreciate how far you travel to get from one place to another and how much elevation changes.

    Keep treking. What a wonderful world.

    Molly and Mikey are safely sleeping.

    I should do the same.

    Love, Mamma

     

Post a Comment

<< Home