Megatron the Decepticon Takes on "El Mundo"

This is my interpretation of the world that is in front of me as I travel down through Central and South America with my good friend Mere. My writing may not be the most clear but if you know me you will most likely understand it all.

Monday, November 20, 2006

The Open Sea

The boat was spectacular. We were 19 in all with plenty of beds for everyone. The Stahleratte was 40 meters in length and full of wonder. We spent the first three days sailing through the San Blas islands and taking many swim breaks in the beautifully blue ocean. The boat became a mini paradise.

We had the options of swimming to the islands or taking a little motor boat. I opted for both depending on my energy. It is a different experience swimming in the ocean the water can be any where from completely calm like a lake to incredibly tumultuous with a fast current.

The crew worked very well together. We had plenty of feed and took turns organizing the meals. No one got sea sick which was spectacular though I am sure it had to do a lot with the size of the boat. One day when we were moving from one island to another we found ourselves int he comapany of a little group of dolphins they jumped back and forth around the boat and gave us quite a show.

As we made our way from the islands the next two days were spent surrounded by water as we headed toward Cartegena. I got my chance to stear as I kept the boat at 80 degrees NE. We had a mid morning swim break in the middle of the Carribeann and I had never seen such blue water. While I was in the water I spent time thinking how there was nothing for miles on any side of us and how beneath us was a world I could only imagine.

We arrived in Cartegena, Colombia early yesterday morning as we awaited the arrival of our stampled passports. This was the first time I did not need to be present to enter a country. Our team of 19 slowly dispersed into the city though we met back up last night for a last hurrah. The streets of Cartegena appear to be a lot more busy than other places we have been. The streets were full of noise, street vendors, children and laughter and it was sunday night. I cannot wait to see what the next week brings.

8 Comments:

  • At 9:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yay, Meagan! Aloha! Your adventure sounds so awesome! I don't want you to leave too soon, but I hope you can come to my wedding in January 08. It's nice to read what you've been doing. I like to know where my fam is. I went to Maui and talked with Jaz, but only on the phone cuz she was busy. But I gave her your blog address. aloha, -nathan

     
  • At 8:58 AM, Blogger Wakan Sadhana said…

    Oh my gosh...that sounded like so much fun! The sailing part anyway.. that is so cool that you got to sail through the San Blas islands. That is now on my list of things I must do...sailing for a couple days. So how long did it actually take? I would love to hear more about it if you have a sec. Miss you bunches!

     
  • At 8:40 PM, Blogger Leland Baxter-Neal said…

    jealous, jealous, jealous. glad you guys made it to your boat alright. keep the posts up, and MORE PHOTOS!

     
  • At 9:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    you be livin the dream. I love you all the way from thanksgiving eve in rainy, chilly oregon. wet streets, candles inside, grandma drinkin, scott singin,
    kim missin you.

    love, mamma

     
  • At 9:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It is very interesting to read both your's and Meredith's blog. Same places, different words, add it together and the adventures are enhanced. Love the pictures of your smiling faces. Love all the pictures. Keep it up. Keep living the dream.
    Sue

     
  • At 11:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    MEAGAN! I'll be in Cartagena Dec 1st. Hopefully you are still there and we can meet. You must go de rumba en chiva, I know you'll have a blast.. Other places to check out:
    1. Castillo San Felipe
    2. La Ciudad Vieja (El Centro)
    3. Islas del Rosario
    4. Convento de La Popa

     
  • At 8:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oh meag,
    tried to ignore the lack of you at thanksgiving but it was impossible! you are missed. your warmth and laughter.

    i like reading about your adventures, knowing your warmth and laughter are getting spread so far.

    love love love you.

     
  • At 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You've been there 2 weeks now? In Columbia? same city? traveling around? meeting new people?
    food? drink? s'up? love from cold eugene to warm columbia, Mamma. PS Maho arrived in Hawaii. <3

     

Post a Comment

<< Home