Megatron the Decepticon Takes on "El Mundo"

This is my interpretation of the world that is in front of me as I travel down through Central and South America with my good friend Mere. My writing may not be the most clear but if you know me you will most likely understand it all.

Monday, October 02, 2006

Monteverde




I know it has only been a few days but the conditions around me have inspired so many wonderful thoughts and feelings that I decided I wanted to put them out there. (So Im writing now with a huge smile) My current mood is relaxed, filled, and stupefied at my own experience of wonder.

We are currently in Monteverde and as the name implies (green mountain) it is the greenest place I have seen since the hills of Ireland though these are a very different green. The bustling Metropolis of Santa Elena Monteverde is about 2 blochs and full of energy. We are currently here during the low tourist time of year though there are still many foreigners around us I think that it would be a lot more difficult to enjoy during high season.

We are staying at our friend's apartment which is very comfortable. Some of the luxuries that I have ejoyed here are that I am not sweating and sticky all day long and I can drink all the tap water my little belly can handle. I love it. Yesterday Mere, Kelsy and I took a canopy tour of the cloud forest which was incredible. It was a little bit of a hike and then they strap you to a cable and send you sailing over the tops of everything spectacular. Some of the cables stretched for nearly half a mile and the highest one was 100 meters. (The picture is of Meredith taking off through the tree tops)



We went for a drive in the evening and the scenery was breathtaking. I dont really know how to explain how good it felt to look out on the world the way it is presented to me out here. The forests are so dense and on these steep hills so it would be impossible to make your way through them which means they stand in peace for the most part and just grow and be. did I mention that I love it.

This morning We loaded up at 8am to head out to a hike to a waterfall called San Luis. On the way Zach's car started smoking. When we opened the hood we saw the battery had completely disconnected and the cable had snaped. We were all in a good mood about it though a little disapointed that our waterfall trip may be cancelled. A very nice man pulled over and helped us temporarily connect the cable so that we could get it to the mechanic. Afterwards we came back for Zachs other car and began our adventure anew. After a very nice windy and once again scenic drive we got to the stop and almost stepped on a very bright red snake (freaked me out a bit) then we hiked our way through many insects and the craziest, brightest blue and biggest ants I have ever seen.



The waterfall was awesome and the water was incredily clear and fresh. It was explained to me that all the water is collected from the clouds at the top of the mountain and runs down through where we were. When we returned home we said good bye to Kelsy for she had to head back to catch her plane back to Eugene then Mere and I got a chance to drive over these crazy, rocky monteverde roads. I loved that as well if you couldn't figure it out. Now I am gonna take some time to breathe and be where I am. I hope all is well with those who I am not able to be with. I love reading stories from home so please write me anything. I am sorry if I do not respond quickly but the internet will most likely not be even close to as available as it is to me here. I love you all as I hope you all know.


Catarata San Luis



A lovely little butterfly known by me as the stained glass something or other.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hi meagan.
    The pictures you took are great and i guess that all the things look even better in reality. it seems as if costa rica would be a journey worth. but germany isnt that bad and so i will stay here for at least 3 month.
    enjoy out time and keep on reporting anything you do in cr....cause i love to read your journey-diary.
    Raphi

     

Post a Comment

<< Home