Megatron the Decepticon Takes on "El Mundo"

This is my interpretation of the world that is in front of me as I travel down through Central and South America with my good friend Mere. My writing may not be the most clear but if you know me you will most likely understand it all.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Moving north and fast

Well I will tell you know I do not have many exciting adventures for you from Costa Rica. I had two goals there: to see my wonderful friend Leland and his wonderful girlfriend, also my friend, Monica and to move on through to Nicaragua so that I could get to El Salvador to meet my other wonderful friend Elke. I had spent much time in Costa Rica in the psat so I was not feeling to sad about moving through it and I had heard so many great things about Nicaragua that I was excited to get there.

Mary on the other hand did not know much about Costa Rica so we decided that it was time to separate for a little bit. I would head up and meet Elke and then we would meet up in Northern Nicaragua in about two weeks. We said our good byes in San Jose, Costa Rica and began our solo journeys.

I made it to Nicaragua a few days later and the highlight that I am going to share with you is Isla del Ometepe in Lago Nicaragua. I spent three days on this beautiful island and I long to go back and spend some more. (Mom I would take you here if we traveled together). The Island was formed by two huge volcanoes, Concepcion and Maderas. There is a myth that Princess from long ago and her lover were banned to see each other by the king so they decided to die together. As she they against him and began to die she threw her head back and her breasts swelled forming the two valcanoes. They say that her lover turned into some other little valcano but I cant remember all the details. Its cheesy I know! Anyways I decided to stay at the base of Maderas which is the shorter of the two. i think it is at 1600 meters.

I stayed in a little town called Mérida and I fell in love with it. I can´t really say there is a town but there is a dirt road that everyone hangs out on outside of their homes. I met some other kids from Germany and one from Oregon and we took a stroll. The community as a sense of warmth that I cant describe. Walking down the street you find yourself caught in conversation after conversation. Little kids want you to take their picture so they can see themselves and laugh. Pigs wander around rolling in the mud and avoiding the cows and the chickens. Older people walking along the street wish you luck with your future and that you are having a wonfderful day, which I definitely was. We found a little restuarant at the waters edge owned by a spaniard who welcomed us in with open arms.

That evening I arranged a guide to hike the Valcano the next day. I woke up early and we headed out. I have dont many three four hour hikes so I figured I was up for the challenge. I was told that it was about an 8 hour day and that the time it took up would be about the same getting down which I couldnt understand but soon learned why. Trail began off light and I could see that the peak was covered in clouds I explained to the guide that that was no problem I had faith that when we reached the top the clouds would clear. We moved through lush cloud forest and saw a coral snake. No monkeys in sight however which I had to accept. Pretty soon the hiking skills were challenged. The trail turned more north and for those who have hiked the Butte it was like the steepest part of the Butte for about an hour and a half. I began to worry that I might not make it knowing I had another two hours to go but I focused and kept moving.

So I found my gait and thought I was doing great. We were soon enveloped in clouds and I could tell it was cold but couldnt feel it due to the amout of heat I was creating in my movement. I got well into the climb feeling comfident when the trail took a very harsh turn straight up. Soon I was scaling the side of the valcano using every tree branch and vine I could find to support myself. I thought I might die of exhaustion. The other two boys that were in fairly good shape acknowledged as well that they were not prepared for it to be this difficult. Though I moved slower and kept moving. Little by little I knew eventually we would get there. Our guide however decided to discourage us and everytime we asked how much longer he said an hour and a half. Finally we made it to the top. I was in much disbelief that I did not have to heave myself up anymore rock walls.

The clouds were still abundant so we could not see the lake that was supposedly in the center of the crater so we ventured down to take a closer look. We arrived at the lake 45 minutes later and as we did the clouds began to part. The bright blue sky came out and call could be seen. It was gorgeous. We bathed in the muddy water not that that did much to wash off the dried caked mud up my entire body but it was refreshing. After lunch we headed back of the crater to check out the view. Incredible is all I could think and after eating I was amazed at the new found energy I felt.

On the way down I saw birds, blue sky, breathtaking views of the island and Concepción and all the howler monkeys I could have imagined. It was awesome and I felt so accomplished and victorious. I celebrated the night away with my new friends from the island and enjoy a few glasses of wine with the Spaniard. Not too mention the most beautiful sunset I think I have every seen. Isla Ometepe treated me well and I could of spent many more days kayaking and wandering the streets. But I knew I had to get moving since Elke was still waiting for me up in El Salvador.

A few days later I found myself arriving in San Salvador, El Salvador and my wonderful friends smiling face was waiting for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home