Megatron the Decepticon Takes on "El Mundo"

This is my interpretation of the world that is in front of me as I travel down through Central and South America with my good friend Mere. My writing may not be the most clear but if you know me you will most likely understand it all.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Silent wandering

Traveling by yourself can teach you a lot of things if you let or atleast remind you the you are forever with yourself. So after Taganga I found myself in one of the most beautiful colonial towns, Barichara. Over the next few days I had very few conversations.

I spent two nights in Barichara. The day I arrived I spent wandering around the town. I set out to by all the groceries I needed for the next two days and went to almost every store collecting it all in order to really see the town. I toured the churches and made friends with a young boy, Luicito, and his little puppy.

The second day I got up bright and early to make the trek to Guane. It is one og the oldest and most preserved colonial towns remaining. So I began. First of all the view of mass green greatness from Barichara is spectacular. At the beginning of the trail I stopped to observe a large succulant that seemed to be contorting and reaching out like an untamed beast. At that moment I felt enveloped by magic. I dont know how else to explain it. I almost wanted to cry. There was a strange and very comforting pressure all around me.

I continued on moving along with the feeling. The path was bewautifully constructed specifically to cross form Barichara to Guane and back again. I was surrounded by green everywhere as I followed the cobbled path. There were tiny birds of the brightest yellow and brightest red. I passed by groups of feasting goats and cows.

After 1 1/2 hours I arrived in Guane a town truly captured in time. I doubt anything has changed in this place in the last 450yrs. The cobbled streets, the shingled roofs, the samples of the famous liquer Sabajon made of leche and arequipe really added a special touch.

I discovered that you could walk around the entire town in 20min. So I rested a bit and caught a ride back into town. Overall a well spent day.

Both my nights were spend drinking either a beer or tea on la mirador (look out) Where I would write or read. And on the second morning I loaded on a bus to the town of San Gil a 30min ride away.

In San Gil the highlight I had was spending 2 hours in the main plaza eating ice cream and discussing animals of the world with 9yr old Luis Alfredo LLanos Fuentes until 10pm. Any animal he could think of we talked about. It was the mosting talking I had done in a while and I loved it. I left the next morning and headed to Bogotá ready to mingle with some people my own age.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:02 PM, Blogger A Family Affair said…

    Wow! You are so lucky to have traveled for that long in south america. It looks like it was incredible! Thanks for checking up on me. I am working to become and accountant. I will put that in my complete profile, shame on me. It is so great to hear from you! I am so jealous of all your experiences! I am working to try to do something similar. The older we get, the more difficult it becomes and I would like to do it before I get to that point!!! Are you back in eugene?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home